Sunday, February 10, 2013

Last good day (?) at HVRM 11-10-12



Greetings!
 
Arrived at the museum this morning in time for the Board meeting at 8:00 a.m.  Gave a short report on an idea for the museums 25th Anniversary next year. 
 
The weather was cloudy with a temp of 59 degrees  but the weatherman had promised mid to upper 60's.  So....a good day to paint!  Managed to dig the Manlift out of the West Annex of the Shop and finally got it moved over to the south side of the 899 passenger car.   Started out by priming the one wood door on the west end.  Then started in with black paint on the east end of the car.   Spent all day at it, not finishing until 4:00 p.m.  Rain, high winds and falling temps are forecast for the coming week so this may have been the last good outside painting day.  
 
Because I spent the day on 899, I am not sure what else went on today.  I know  that the last Guest engineer of the season ran Alco # 310 in the morning.  Then the Chesapeake & Indiana came into North Judson to pull out the last of the storage tank cars and repaired covered hoppers.  Then non-operating department  museum members were given the opportunity to take a ride in the cab of the S-1.   I paused at times during my painting to take a look as the EL unit headed out east over museum trackage.  It looked like a good time was had by all!
 
I know that the two Steve's (Henrichs and Newland) worked in Grasselli Tower.  I know that Mark Knebel planned on greasing the cables in the boom of the Purdue crane to get ready for winter, but I don't know for sure that he was able to get that job done.  I also saw John LaOrange heading out with two switch ties on the payloader and later saw Cory Bennett go by with the backhoe.  I assume the ties were probably meant for the interchange switch, but again, not sure.
 
After all the members were done riding in the S-1's cab, the crew went down to the Shop and eventually came back with the 2789's tender.  This was put on one of the storage tracks to clear space for winter car projects in the Shop.  Two cars that are on the schedule are the yellow ex-Illinois Central caboose and the Pullman Troop Sleeper.  Both are currently set up as museum display cars. 
 
I managed to get the entire south side of the roof of coach 899 finished, and after cleaning up the paint brushes, and putting away the rest of the paint, I moved the Manlift back to the Shop, parking it in front rather than putting it back inside, as per Mark's instructions.  Bing Risley gave me a ride back to the coach in his John Deere contraption, saving me a long walk.  I was tired after all the painting, so appreciated the ride.
 
Finally rolled out of the museum at 4:30.  Don't forget to remember our Veteran's tomorrow by flying your flag for Veteran's Day!  Have a Super week everyone!
 
Les  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment