Saturday, October 9, 2010

Super Day At HVRM, Record Crowds, Record Heat 10-09-10

Just a perfect day at HVRM. Temp in the high 80's, no clouds, no humidity, good day
for the pumpkin trains. Both trains were near capacity or sold out. Only change was
that pumpkins were at the North Judson train/trail park. Early switching of the tank
cars to the interchange track opened up the Erie line. After moving the tank car
a run to the highway crossing was made to make sure that the signal would work,
they did. So back to the waiting caboose train. Could of been a little close to train
time as the platforms were packed and people were everywhere. Don't have counts on
train riders or number of pumpkins sold at the park. No problems noted at the park
with unloading/loading. Riders quickly boarded and were off to English Lake, then returned
to the Erie line and was nice to see the train head on down the old Erie line. Some extra
mileage. I'm not sure if the crews got a chance to eat lunch, as I had already moved on to
my next project.
 
Arriving at 8AM, I went directly to the GTW caboose to work on the final seats inside
the car. As I had the lag bolts I needed to get it done, but of course miscounted and
still need more. Blocks of wood that were made last week was quickly attached to the
seat legs, holes drill for the floor, but I used screws, that will be changed to bolts later
when one person can go under the car and put the lock washer and nut on while the
person inside tightens the bolt. The remaining seat and double seat were put in
and the back cushions were attached to the seat frame, with the brackets behind the
cushions installed later. I swept the car, gathered up my tools and waited till the train
was at the platform to unload. It was a mad rush to get my stuff off the steps before
the riders boarded. Many happy riders were on the outside platform seats.
 
Tower work continued with filling nail holes, sanding, then painting more boards. Steve
had a helper today.
 
Dave and Cory worked on the east building roof installing the sealant till it got too hot
to work.
 
Les, on Thursday worked some more on the 899, getting another section primed.
Bob J was asked about the window, but was too busy with getting things ready to
look at it.
 
Mostly all the regulars, plus wives were car hosts for the trips. Dan Siple was spotted
in the depot with Dee buying tickets for the train, looks good.
 
I continued on the REA trailer after lunch, slow going around all the locomotive
parts all over the ground. I did get the last big REA diamond off the side of the
trailer. I stood on the ladder till my feet went to sleep, so that was it for the day.
Got a lot of grinding done, at my expense. I have a new scaffold that I will try out next
week. Side doors, hinges are rusted solid. Only way to get doors off is to drill out the
heads. Cory did help get the rear door up, so I could squeeze in if I needed too. Will
get a track jack next week to jack it up further. Got to get those springs hooked back
up.
 
Next week I will head over to a car painter and ask him how to restore the REA signs.
Paint is faded badly, but the surface is in good shape. Have all winter to work on
that project. Nothing special to do on the roof, but put the aluminum trailer paint on
to seal it up.
 
Beautiful working weather, won't last, snow will soon be on the ground. Have a good
week, be careful on the roads. Stop Look & Listen at all railroad tracks. A grain truck
driver was killed by a NS train in Starke county this past week after he did not stop to
check for trains. Will never know why he crossed in front of the train. Sad

No comments:

Post a Comment