Thursday, October 8, 2015

Identities restored at HVRM 10/7/15

Greetings!

Had an opportunity to go to Hoosier Valley today, a rather rare Wednesday happening.  I wanted to try to finish the renumbering on the cab sides of our historic 44-ton Whitcomb after Mark Knebel recently painted the unit.  As you can see from the first photo, I managed to get the job done!  A word about the number.  For years, the Whitcomb has carried the number 27.  This is not a number that the unit wore in regular service, but at the time, we did not have the units history.  We now know that history and one of the numbers she carried was 509 which is the number used in this repainting.  Mark has asked me to put some protection in the four number board on the units hoods to help prevent water from entering.  A project for the near future!

Another recent Knebel project was the repainting of a couple of EJ&E artifacts; a Fairmont Boom Car and a push car with an installed tool box for supplies.  Mark painted these in blue and they look sharp sitting on display.  He added the old EJ&E lettering except omitted the EJ&E number of the push car.  I added this number (G1) a few weeks ago but since I didn't have a roman letter style "G", I used an "O".  Looked pretty crappy I must admit.  Today I touched up that letter, and the second photo shows one of those revised letters.  I think it looks a bit better now.  You may think differently!

Great weather today.  Sunny and in the 70's.  Had a visitor while I was working and was able to show him the Shop and Grasselli Tower in between these projects.  Lots of minor stuff like this at the museum that doesn't take a heck of a lot of work but which adds enjoyment for those who visit.  If you've ever thought of coming out, we can always find something for you to do! 


Les   

No comments:

Post a Comment