Saturday, September 28, 2013

September out like a lamb (?) at HVRM 9-28-2013

Hello!
 
Beautiful day at Hoosier Valley today.  Made it into the low 80's by the afternoon, but a nice breeze kept it comfortable.
 
This will be a short report as I was asked to work in the depot today by Loretta Kosloske.  Fortunately, Bob Barcus did show up due to a schedule
change, so I only had to sell tickets.  I didn't screw too many things up, but then it's hard to teach an old dog (like me) new tricks!  My apologies
for my derelictions of duty!  Because I spent most of the day in the depot, I didn't get around to see much of what else was happening, thus the
meager report.
 
Diane Bennett was working with Bob in the museum gift shop.  Margrett Cook hosted lunch in the old NKP camp car, which is now our dining car.
 
I did manage to get the signals turned on in the morning, and they performed flawlessly all day, including both of the Erie semaphores.
 
The morning run to English Lake had the best patronage, but there were passengers on all of the trains.  Also had a guest engineer between the first
and second passenger runs of the day; a gentleman from Oak Park, Illinois.  He and his wife also later rode the 1:30 p.m. train to English Lake.
There were a lot of members on the passenger trains today.  I think that perhaps they were getting re-certified. 
 
Steve Newland continued working on repairs on the second story floor of Grasselli Tower.
 
Cory Bennett had the welder out and was working on the repair of parts for the back hoe.
 
Bing Risley was cutting grass around the refrigerator car building and track storage yard.
 
Heard a report today that said that both ex-Chessie SD-18 #7311 that used to work on the JK Line and the ex-L&HR C-420 that was long stored at
Hoosier Valley, both were seen heading east this week at Milford Junction on a CSX freight.
 
As I said, a short report.   Here comes October, and autumn!  Have a great week everyone!
 
 
Les
    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment