Saturday, April 13, 2013

Two Additonal Pictures

Actually looking for any new Wabash pictures, but ran across 2 pics taken
by Sandy Goodrick on Dec 16, 1950 at New Paris IN. Wabash Train 52, engine
GP-7 450 getting orders from the tower operator. Next photo is the combine
car at the end of the local train 52 with marker lamps no less.
 
This was the working local from Gary-Montpelier OH, that did all the local
businesses along the line. This train ran behind my boy hood home for years
on 500 South eastbound on Monday, Wedndesday, Friday, with the same train
returning on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. What I never knew, until I read
in a Wabash Banner that you could actually purchase a ticket to ride in the
combine from Gary to Montpelier, but if the train had switching to do at say
North Liberity IN grain elevator, you may of not left at the prescribed time on the
timetable for that day.
 
In addition there was one train eastbound/westbound consisting of F-7's A/B's
units with a regular Wabash caboose, either square or streamlined cupola.
In later years, U-25B's showed up along with FM trainmaster engines. Some times
a Balwin or EMD switcher would be in the consist returning from most likely
shop work, engines etc. returning to the Detroit area.
 
I do remember E-7's or 8's pulling passenger trains from Chicago to Pine IN to
South Bend IN for Notre Dame football games. Usually heading east in mid morning
an returning west later in the evening, along with domes and Observation cars.
I have never seen any pictures of these Notre Dame specials on Saturdays in
the fall. They ran for a number of years in possibly late 50's and early 60's.
 
Norfolk Western acquired control in 1964 and the final trains ran in late 80's I would
say, as I was in the Navy an don't know the exact dates.
 
Elmer Manning was the tower operator at Magee for a number of years, I think in the
50's. Magee is about 1 mile to the west of my house, where the C&O (PM) crossed
the Wabash line. If I remember right, Magee was manned days and eves, no mids,
so Elmer set the signals green for any Wabash trains, and red for all C&O trains
that might show up at night and then would have to wait till morning operator to
come on duty to proceed. Magee had a depot at one time along with a interchange track that was on the northwest corner of the properity. I still believe a hotel was
built on 500 South for railroad workers or passengers for the trains. But all passenger
traffic was gone by early 30's I think, maybe sooner. My father, who grew up in Kingsbury IN, remembered the depot and a milk station for farmers sending milk
to Chicago.
 
I can remember things 50 years ago, but can't remember what I had for lunch today,
old age..
 
Tom 

No comments:

Post a Comment